The Young Il Duce
In 1912 he became editor of Avanti! (Forward!), the official daily newspaper of Italy’s Socialist Party. But he was expelled from the party two years later over his support for World War I. By 1919 a radically changed Mussolini had founded the fascist movement, which would later become the Fascist Party.
IL DUCE PART II
From 1920 to 1922, armed fascist squads faced minimal interference from the police or army as they roamed the country causing property damage and killing an estimated 2,000 political opponents. Many other citizens were beaten up or forced to drink castor oil.
Mussolini did not take power in a coup.
With Italy’s leading non-fascist politicians hopelessly divided and with the threat of violence in the air, on October 29 the king offered Mussolini the chance to form a coalition government. But although the premiership was now his, Il Duce—a master of propaganda who claimed the backing of 300,000 fascist militiamen when the real number was probably far lower—wanted to make a show of force. As a result, he joined armed supporters who flooded the streets of Rome the following day. Mussolini would later mythologize the March on Rome’s importance.
THE NEW PRIME MINISTER
After becoming prime minister, Mussolini reduced the influence of the judiciary, muzzled a free press, arrested political opponents, continued condoning fascist squad violence and otherwise consolidated his hold on power.
- Covid-19 tiers: Most of England facing tough rules after lockdown November 26, 2020More than 55 million people will be banned from meeting other households indoors after 2 December.
- Covid in Scotland: Eight-person limit for Christmas bubbles November 26, 2020Government guidance says the bubbles should contain a maximum of eight people over the age of 11.
- Diego Maradona: Thousands bid farewell as Argentina grieves November 26, 2020Fans pay their final respects to the late football legend at Argentina's presidential palace.
- Coronavirus infections levelling during England lockdown November 26, 2020But in Scotland infection rates appear to be rising, according to Office for National Statistics data.
- Covid: What are the new tiers and lockdown rules in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland? November 26, 2020England will move to a tougher version of tiered coronavirus restrictions when lockdown ends next week.
- Diego Maradona: World mourns Argentine football great November 26, 2020Fans around the world gather to pay tribute to one of the greatest players of all time.
- Elizabeth Dixon death inquiry 'exposes 20-year cover-up' of mistakes November 26, 2020The health system's response to a baby's death in 2001 has been 'at times inhumane', a report says.
- Ethiopia's Tigray crisis: PM declares assault on regional capital Mekelle November 26, 2020PM Abiy Ahmed says the military will try not to harm civilians and urges people to stay at home.
- 'Please forgive me!': US tourist returns block of stolen Roman marble November 26, 2020In a letter, the traveller asks to be forgiven for taking a marble fragment from Rome in 2017.
- Scrum-half Williams to start for Wales against England November 26, 2020Scrum-half Lloyd Williams will make his first Wales start for four years against England but Liam Williams and Justin Tipuric are injured.
- San Antonio and Bexar County issue partial curfew for Thanksgiving weekend November 26, 2020Officials in the San Antonio area are following in the footsteps of El Paso County, which issued a similar order earlier this week. The curfews come as coronavirus infections surge to new levels in Texas.Stacy Fernández
- Texas again sets record for new coronavirus infections as testing also sees sustained highs November 25, 2020The apparent record comes one day before the Thanksgiving holiday. Public health authorities have urged people to celebrate apart this year as many Texas hospitals report overwhelming volumes of COVID-19 patients.Edgar Walters, Carla Astudillo, Chris Essig and Mandi Cai
- Q&A with NAMI Texas’ executive director about mental health during the pandemic November 25, 2020Texas ranks 50th out of 51 in overall access to mental health care, reports show. Currently, only one in seven Texas children with major depression receives consistent treatment — almost half the national average.Elvia Limón
- TribCast: The presumptive House speaker and remote learning struggles in Texas November 25, 2020In this week's TribCast, Matthew speaks with Ross, Aliyya and Cassi about how state Rep. Dade Phelan became the likely next speaker of the Texas House and why remote learning has been so difficult for schools.Matthew Watkins and Michael Rey de Leon
- U.S. border officials temporarily close Texas warehouse where chain-link ‘cages’ for migrants became a symbol of mistreatment November 25, 2020The McAllen Central Processing Center will reopen in 2022 after a major renovation, Customs and Border Protection officials said.Nick Miroff, The Washington Post